Why Train with Us?
Here are just a few reasons why we’re excited to be a part of the University Hospitals-Cleveland Medical Center Psychiatry Residency Program…and why you should be too.
- Our Residents: We are a friendly and supportive group of residents. Our resident societies foster camaraderie, scholarly productivity, and mentorship. Our program emphasizes wellness in our didactics, an experiential elective and through our Resident Life and Wellness Committee. We also offer a generous and flexible time away policy.
- Our Faculty: Our core, on-site faculty of psychiatrists and psychologist represent a wide variety of clinical expertise and are readily available for electives, supervision, and teaching. Across the board, they are enthusiastic supervisors, mentors, and teachers
- Our Fellowships: We have all five AGCME-approved fellowships – so our residents are taught by experts in their fields from day one. Our fellowships include Forensic Psychiatry, Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Addiction Psychiatry, Geriatric Psychiatry, Psychosomatic Medicine, Public and Community Psychiatry, and Research.
- Our Clinical Sites: We’re able to train at a wide variety of clinical locations, as close as the community mental health center in your neighborhood…and as far away as New Zealand. Our sites include specialized clinics in college mental health (4 sites), human sexuality and marital health, eating disorders and intellectual disabilities. Our residents are exposed to a broad range of mental health systems and psychiatric diagnoses among all socioeconomic groups. We also offer opportunities in telepsychiatry and integrative care.
- Our Didactics: We have a comprehensive educational program with protected educational time.
- Psychotherapy: Our residents are able to see long-term psychotherapy patients as early as their PGY-1 year if they choose in our dedicated Resident Psychotherapy Clinic. Each resident has at least two supervisors, one of whom is trained in psychodynamic psychotherapy and/or analysis. Residents have the opportunity for formal training in Psychoanalysis through the Cleveland Psychoanalytic Institute at a reduced cost. And if you’re interested in more extensive Psychodynamic Psychotherapy, Group Psychotherapy, Couples Therapy, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Dialectical Behavioral Therapy, or Gestalt Therapy…well, that’s available to you too.
- Leadership and Teaching Opportunities: Our senior residents have many chief roles available to them, tailored to their professional and personal interests and skills. Each resident also has the opportunity to hone their teaching skills through teaching medical students and residents in other specialties…and for those interested in a career in academic psychiatry, we offer a Leadership in Medical Education Track.
- Flexibility: Our curriculum allows for six weeks of electives in PGY-2 year, continuing electives in PGY-3 year, and nearly all of PGY-4 year is electives. Our residents may choose from any of our established electives, or they may choose a mentor and design their own.
- Support: Our inpatient units have comprehensive support, including Social Work, Occupational Therapy, and Physical Therapy. The Emergency Psychiatric Assessment Team (EPAT) provides 24/7 coverage to our emergency rooms – coordinating transfers, authorizations, and pre-certifications for all admissions.
- Cleveland Rocks!